From the Chairman of the Selection Committee
We are an amateur cricket club, which sees cricket as a social pastime and we accept members with a wide range of skills. We look to provide members with competitive cricket played in the right spirit.
The selection committee follows the following principles:
- To pick balanced sides.
- To pick sides on merit based on what each player can contribute to a side.
- No player is guaranteed to be picked for a particular team.
- If a player is selected for a team, then the following Saturday he cannot be selected for a team more than one level below the team for which he was picked the previous Saturday. This does not apply when a player is brought into a side during the week leading up to a game.
- Junior players should not expect always to be picked in the adult sides.
- Adult playing members take priority over Juniors in selection for Adult sides.
- The development of Juniors is an important consideration with regard to their selection.
- Attendance at training on Wednesday evenings will be taken into account.
- The captain has the final say in the selection of his team.
- The development of junior players is an important consideration with regard to their selection.
The selection committee will not always get it right but we try and any mistakes made are honestly made.
I am Chairman of the Selection Committee and please talk to me if at any time during the season you are concerned about anything to do with selection, whether relating to yourself or other players. I can only deal with issues if I know about them.
We do expect players to recognize that they also have responsibilities such as:
- When representing the club to maintain the highest standards of behaviour and play in the Spirit of the Game.
- To recognize that the team is more important than the individual.
- To wear club clothing on the field of play.
The selection committee meets on a Monday evening. It is very important that if a player knows he is unavailable for selection that he informs the selection committee either by using the “Availability” facility on the club website (www.wansteadcricketclub.co.uk ) or by informing the captain of the side, for which he last played. If a player cries off having been selected for reasons which the player knew about before the selection committee met, then he will NOT be selected the following Saturday.